What is Onyx?
Onyx comes in breathtakingly beautiful swirling patterns that rival the beauty of any other natural stone. Because it is somewhat translucent, it appears delicate, and backlighting can show off its striking colors and patterns.
What are the Pros of Onyx?
- Onyx is rare, so it brings a unique touch to your home and increases its value simultaneously.
- If you take care of your onyx countertops, it has a long lifespan.
- It’s easy to keep clean. Just keep it dusted.
What are the Cons of Onyx?
- Because it is so rare, it costs more than most natural stones. Therefore, you could use it as an accent.
- It is prone to scratching and staining and tends to be more fragile than other options. It works best in a bathroom, where spills are less frequent.
How to Care and Maintain Onyx
- Avoid harsh cleaners.
- Wiping down with soap and water is sufficient, but ensure you wipe away any soap residue.
- Plan to reseal it at least every three years and consider having a professional come in periodically and polish your onyx countertops.
The Best Uses of Onyx
Onyx can bring beauty to your kitchen and bathroom. The bathroom is safer because there are fewer opportunities for scratches or stains; however, if you use cutting boards and coasters, your onyx countertops will last a lifetime.