You’ve decided to go with granite for countertops in your kitchen.
It’s a durable and stylish choice! In making this choice, it is important to consider the care of granite to maximize the longevity of your working surfaces in your kitchen.
With proper care, your countertop can add beauty and functionality to your kitchen and other living spaces in your home.
The easiest way to keep your granite countertops looking great is to avoid activities which may damage it. Some examples of damaging activities include:
- allowing spills to sit on surface and cause a stain
- not using coasters, trivets, or hot pads when placing glasses, pots or pans on the surface
- cutting items directly on countertops without a cutting board
- repeated use of dish soap to clean surface
- using bleach, degreasers, glass cleaners, or other common household cleaners which contain acids, alkalis, and other chemicals which will degrade the sealer on the granite
If you have a stain that needs to be addressed on your granite countertop, use a stone-safe, pH-neutral cleaner. After any stains are removed, be sure to re-apply a coat of protective sealer and your countertops will continue looking great for the long term.